With a DeLonghi espresso machine, you can make delicious espresso, latte, or cappuccino drinks in your own kitchen.
DeLonghi makes a number of different models, available at various price points.
All models allow you to use ground coffee, and some machines include built-in grinders for ultimate convenience.
Additionally, some machines provide the option of using pods instead of ground coffee.
A steamer arm allows you to steam and froth milk for lattés and cappuccinos. Built-in thermostats ensure that your espresso and steamed milk will come out at the perfect temperature.
A removable water reservoir and removable drip tray provide easy filling and cleaning. Push-button convenience makes it simple to operate the machine.
You can enjoy years of service and delectable coffee drinks from a DeLonghi espresso machine.
1. Before turning the machine on, fill, and insert the water reservoir.
- Remove the water reservoir and fill it with filtered water.
- Re-insert the filled reservoir in the machine until it clicks into place.
- In some models, a float in the reservoir indicates the water level.
- Never operate your machine with an empty water reservoir.
2. Turn the machine on.
- After the water reservoir has been filled and placed, turn the machine on.
3. Pre-warm your espresso cups. You always want to serve piping-hot espresso in warm cups.
- A cup-warming area is conveniently located on the top of the machine.
- Place your espresso serving cups upside-down on the warming area.
- Depending on the model that you have, you will find room enough to place several demitasse-type, espresso shot cups on the warming area.
4. Grind fresh coffee beans of your choice. There is not a specific type of coffee bean required for the DeLonghi espresso machine. Go with your preference and experiment with different roasts for variety.
- Grind the coffee beans just before you pull your espresso shot.
- Some DeLonghi models include built-in grinders.
- Use a grind that is somewhere between fine and super-fine.
5. Remove the portafilter handle and add coffee. Depending on the model of your machine and your preference, you will add ground coffee or an espresso pod.
- Add the ground coffee or a pod to the cup that is located at the end of the portafilter handle.
- Insert the correct cup into the end of your portafilter handle, depending on your preference: single shot espresso, double shot espresso, or a pod. The correct size cups will come with your machine.
- On some models, a little arm flips up from the portafilter handle to secure the cup on the end while you’re filling it with ground coffee.
- Fill the portafilter cup with ground coffee, up to the rim. Brush overflowing coffee grounds from the rim.
- Tamp the ground coffee down into the portafilter cup.
- You will find a built-in tamper on your espresso machine. Position the portafilter cup full of ground coffee up under the built-in tamper. Press firmly upward to tamp the coffee into the cup.
- Or, you might want to use a hand-held tamper. Push the coffee firmly down into the portafilter cup, moving the tamper all around the surface of the filled cup to pack in the ground coffee.
- After the portafilter cup is filled with ground coffee and tamped down, you can flip the little security arm back down onto the portafilter handle.
SEE ALSO: How to Use Stovetop Espresso Maker
6. Pull a shot of espresso. After the portafilter cup is full of ground coffee and tamped down, you’re ready to pull your shot.
- Insert the portafilter handle back up into the machine and turn to click into place.
- Place an espresso cup on the drip tray underneath the portafilter.
- Press a button on the front of the machine to turn on the portafilter for a single shot or a double shot.
- The machine will build up the pressure and then begin to release espresso into your serving cup.
7. How to add steamed milk for a latté. Your DeLonghi machine will dispense steamed, frothed milk for your coffee drinks.
- A stainless-steel boiler in the machine has 2 separate thermostats. These control the temperature for brewing espresso and for frothing milk.
- Fill a stainless-steel pitcher with your desired amount of milk.
- Position the pitcher under the steamer arm so that the steamer nozzle is inserted slightly into the milk.
- Turn the knob to release steam and froth the milk. Holes in the top of the steamer arm allow the machine to pull air down into the milk to create a foam.
- When the correct temperature is reached, turn the knob off to shut off the steamer arm.
- Remove the milk pitcher from under the steamer arm and tap the bottom of it on your countertop a couple of times. This helps to break any large bubbles.
- Pour your espresso shot into a larger latté cup and add your steamed, frothed milk.
8. Tips for cleaning and maintenance. You will get extended use from your DeLonghi machine with a few simple steps for regular cleaning and maintenance.
- Rinse the portafilter handle with water before and after every use.
- Clean the drip tray (located under the portafilter) after every use. The drip tray is completely removable so that you can easily wash it with mild detergent and a soft dishcloth.
- After using the steamer arm to froth milk, clean the outside of it by wiping it with a damp cloth.
- Then, clean the steamer arm further by holding an empty cup under it and turning it on to release steam for just a few seconds. A small amount of water will release from the steamer arm and drip into the cup. Discard this water, and now the steamer arm is clean and ready for the next use.
- Every 2-to-3 months, you will need to descale your espresso machine. Use the de-scaler that comes with the DeLonghi machine, or one that is recommended. Simply add the de-scaler to your water reservoir and run it through the machine. It will run through the portafilter to keep your machine free of built-up residue.
Follow the simple steps presented here to create rich, tasty espresso coffee drinks and to maintain your DeLonghi machine for years of enjoyment. Keep in mind that DeLonghi makes numerous different models for home use. Have fun exploring the varied features of different models, and you’ll surely find the one that is just right for you.